Last year had been filled with worries and fear for most of us, but of course, 2021 is here, and we have to be hopeful for better days coming our way. We know that these times have been difficult, but we should not forget to take care of ourselves. Self-care is one of the most important ways to achieve a happy life. Here are a few self-care practices you need to start doing this 2021, if you haven't started doing them yet:
1. Meditate. Mornings are normally chaotic and we forget to start slowly. You get out there and everything just slaps you across your face, and then you are forced to face the day like you never really got any rest. This year, you need to be more mindful of how you get into your day gradually. Start your day with a 5-minute meditation and deep breathing. Do not look for your phone as soon as you wake up. Get up and meditate. It will help you get yourself together and ready for a new day!
2. Drink more water. We cannot stress this enough, but water is your best friend. It helps maintain the balance of your body fluids, thus healthier body functions in general. It also significantly affects energy levels and brain function, so you can be more production throughout the day.
3. Put on sunscreen. According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), the glass typically used in car, home and office windows is designed to block most UVB rays, but it does not offer protection from all UVA rays. So even if you’re indoors, if you’re close to a window you still run the risk of exposure to UVA rays and possible skin damage. So generally, even when you're staying indoors, just put on sunscreen. It will take only a few seconds of your time and yourskin will thank you in a few years.
4. Follow a decent (and sustainable) skincare routine. Speaking of sunscreen, this year, find the best skincare routine that suits you (and your skin), and stick with it. Make it a habit! Again, your skin will thank you in a few years. It shouldn't be a ten-step routine. It could just be a two-step one, as long as it works for you!
5. Exercise and eat well. This could be the most difficult part of it all, but we need to include this. People would only be motivated to exercise at the beginning of the year, and end up ditching workouts after a while. This year, try to just eat healthier and be more active. If you cannot do daily workouts, then at least, just do some stretching now and then. We're not getting any younger.
6. Start a journal. Before getting in bed, try to write down your thoughts and feelings in a journal. It can just be however short or long you want it to be, depending on how you feel that day, as long as you are able to leave your worries and anxieties there, before you go to sleep. Start by trying to write down the three good things that happened to you that day, or three things you are grateful for. Make this a habit. This will help you relax and, hopefully, sleep better.
7. Get enough sleep. Of course, this would be the last in our list, but never the least. Sleep is very important, and with all the stress going on around us every single day, it's important to be able to leave all those things and worries for the day, and rest our minds for a while. Tomorrow is another day!
This year is going to be awesome for all of us. Just stay hopeful and keep spreading happiness and love. Take care of yourself so you can also take care of the people around you.