Love is for me, love is for you, love is for all. Love is an emotion, love is a drug, love is a scroll.
There is no day enough to express what you have in your heart for your loved ones. However, there are somedays you just want to travel that extra mile to show your loved ones that they hold your heart. There are various ways to tell them you love them, an extra piece of chocolate spared just for them, sparing the last piece of that pizza, covering a blanket when they are asleep, Sending Candy Hearts, Heart Shaped Lollipops to eat for long, and if they are conscious about what they eat, Honey spoon or Honey lollipops, etc.
The ways are endless; the feeling, however, is one. Interestingly, Candy Hearts which we eat on every Valentine’s day, came into existence some 155 (In 1866) years back. And today too, these candies have taken over Valentines like no other. Back then, they started off as a missed focus. But gradually, they have become an important part of valentine’ day gifting.
Moving on, do you know some rare and unknown facts about the Candy Hearts? Check them out, they’ll blow your mind!
- Phrases into your candy hearts are printed using Vegetable dyes! Our Candy Hearts of today came in variety of shapes before the World War I. The shapes included watches, baseballs and even horseshoes. The previous occupier of today’s candy hearts was a candy scallop shell. It included a paper message inside, just like a fortune cookie did.
- There were wedding day editions available too! Yes, in the before times, they were mostly used during the merry marriages! There were even sayings inscribed like: "Married in pink, He will take to drink", “Married in white, you have chosen right.", etc.
- Production to keep up with the demands of candy hearts starts in the late February and continues till Mid- January!
- They (the founder company) produce more than 8 billion candy hearts every year (Late February to Mid- January) to keep up with the wants. Every day more than 1,00,000 pounds of candy hearts are manufactured by the founder company.
- Talking about the founders, the very first creator and Founder of Candy hearts (Then Motto Hearts) was Daniel Chase, brother of NECCO founder (New England Confectionery Company) Oliver Chase. He created these candy hearts after he invented a machine that printed phrases on the shapes.
- Candy Hearts formerly started off as Medical Lozenges and are also known as conversation Hearts. The machine invented simplified the candy making process along with the production of Medicine. Thus, the founders than shifted their focus to Candy Making.
- Candy Hearts took the shape of a Heart in 1902, making it the original year of their birth.
- There were about 45 sayings included in the box but even they were not enough to send the feeling across.
- Candy Hearts are the most wanted and the most adored sweets during Valentine’s day. The whole lot produced by the founders are sold out in the initial six weeks itself.
- Taking about how these Candy Hearts are made, Gelatin, Corn Syrup and Sugar are used as ingredients. The dough is Rolled out, and then cut into the shape of a Heart.
- It is essential the dough in the shape dries for 45 minutes to get their Hardened stability.
- These candy hearts take up approximately 40% of the valentine’s Day market. According to estimates, more than 13 million pounds of these are sold out in the six weeks before the holiday.
In 2007, NECCO introduced a limited ‘Pet Lovers’ edition which included messages like ‘Take a Walk’, ‘Puppy Love’, etc. After All, love is for every being in this world.
- These Candy Hearts don’t expire up to five years!
- These candies can dance in your Soda! Yes, probably the most interesting and fun fact about these hearts is when you drop them in carbonated soda they will first sink at the bottom as they are heavier than the soda. And then, the fun activity starts when they start hopping inside your drink!
Do you have some other facts that we haven’t listed in here? We would love to know them too! Do let us know!
Also, checkout our Candy Hearts, Heart Shaped Lollipops and other candies, we are sure to melt your Heart!